Maker of Sounds and Something Else
Students on the 2nd year of our European Fine Art Masters have been engaging in their last practice-led module; exploring sound as medium, material, genre and practice within contemporary art with Sound and Installation Art Tutor, Dr. Dan Scott
Through a series of 8 sessions, students explored a range of sonic work and processes alongside feature talks and discussions that fed into their practical making and creative exploration. Throughout this module, students were taught to consider the ways in which sound and listening engage with public spaces, aesthetically, materially, and politically.
1. An Ocean of Sound : An introduction to sound in the arts
2. Capturing time and space in sound : Diving into the “soundscape” and its critiques with a field workshop exploring Margate’s sonic communities.
3. Chaos and Flow : Looking into sound-making and listening as practice with a group improv response to TMS’ building
4. An Individual Note : Learning new ways of combining sound and making music concrete.
5. Soundhouses and Klangkunst : Site-specific sound and instrument-building inspired by, and set in, TMS’ building
6. Sounding Out! : Honing in on the broader contemporary debates around sound and listening.
The last two sessions of this module focus on project development, sharing work and group critiques.