The collaboration between The Margate School and one of the oldest art schools in France, the renowned École Supérieure d’Art et Design Le Havre-Rouen (ESADHaR) means that the French national network of art schools (ANdÉA) and its pedagogic approach is now opened up to British art education.
This Anglo-French partnership is one of the innovative approaches to art education which draws many people to The Margate School's European Fine Art Masters Programme. TMS students qualify for free accommodation at the ESADHaR campus in Le Havre and Rouen as well as access to workshops and state of the art facilities. French language sessions feature as part of the course and students not only have the opportunity to collaborate with French students and artists but also participate in the School’s community outreach programme and arts events.
ESADHaR has a strong interest in innovation in art education and project-based learning and many years of experience developing challenging master-level programmes.
Created in 1741 by the painter Jean-Baptiste Descamps, the Regional School of Fine Arts of Rouen was officially recognized in 1750. Since that year, its history has merged with that of the two institutions that presided over its origin: public education and the Academy of Rouen. They have left a double imprint on it, both pedagogical and cultural, which is still alive today. Indeed, after experiencing the upheavals of the revolutionary period, the school was officially reopened in 1804. Rich in the projects that it had continuously developed, it was part of the Central Schools, half-theoretical, half-applied, open to a larger number of disciplines and participants. It benefits from the historical rise of the bourgeoisie, whose position it helps to establish, and vice versa. At the end of the 19th century, new preoccupations took shape; schools were invited to develop decorative art sections. The School of Rouen distinguished itself in this field to the point of being selected to decorate a stand at the Grand Palais during the 1925 exhibition of decorative and industrial arts. The school's activities were momentarily interrupted by the disasters of the Second World War. After the bombings of 1944, the school moved to the Aître Saint-Maclou, a former mass grave of the plague victims of the Middle Ages, which has housed educational facilities since the 17th century. On December 29, 2010, by the common will of the Cities of Le Havre and Rouen to bring together two municipal art schools, the Regional School of Fine Arts of Rouen and the Le Havre Higher School of Art, the Le Havre-Rouen Higher School of Art and Design (ESADHaR) was created in the form of an epcc. Its first director is appointed in May 2011 and all the staff of both schools is transferred to ESADHaR in July 2011. In the summer of 2014, after a year of work to transform a former college built in 1969, the Rouen campus of ESADHaR will move to the Grand-Mare district, at 2 rue Giuseppe Verdi, in Rouen, the head office of the establishment.
Le Havre Campus
The creation of the École Supérieure d'Art du Havre dates back to the year 1800, under the Consulate. On the proposal of the citizen Antoine-Marie Lemaître, architect and former student of the Academy of Paris, the municipality opened on the 15th frimaire of the year IX (November 15, 1800), a free School of Drawing. In 1811, after ten years of operation, in a difficult political context, and following the death of Lemaître, the school ceased its activities for a few years. In 1824, reopening of a Municipal School of Drawing in Le Havre. Originally directed by Dubois, a pupil of David, it was successively located on rue de Bordeaux, rue Bernardin de Saint Pierre, then rue de la Mailleraye. Dubois sets up many courses which take place at the end of the day. From 1871, under the direction of Charles Lhullier, the school develops and offers courses in industrial drawing which will contribute to the training of thousands of workers, foremen and engineers. In 1881, it moved to the former Masonic temple at 44 rue Jules Lecesne. In 1883, it became the Municipal School of Fine Arts. In 1896, she counts among her students Raoul Dufy (who had entered in 1893) and Othon Friesz, in 1897 Georges Braque, then in 1917, Jean Dubuffet. In 1927, the school moved to 130, rue Anatole France and changed its name to become the Regional School of Fine Arts. Its present form, with a course of study which is concretized by a diploma, dates back to 1956. Indeed, under the impetus of Pierre Roux, a program of studies was set up leading in three years to the C.A.F.A.S. (Certificat d'Aptitude à une Formation Artistique Supérieure), and following the results obtained, to the National Diplomas of Fine Arts (D.N.B.A.) with the options Advertising, Decoration, Painting or Deco-Volume. In November 1973, the school moved to 3, rue Dumé d'Aplemont, in a disused elementary school. From 1978, the first D.N.S.E.P. (Diplôme National Supérieur d'Expression Plastique) are delivered to students of the École Régionale des Beaux-Arts du Havre (DNSEP "Communication" first, then DNSEP "Art" from 1980). In 1988, the Regional School of Fine Arts of Le Havre took the name of Le Havre Art School, in anticipation of the new premises in which the school moved in 1990. It inaugurated its current premises, 65, rue Demidoff, in 1991. In 2006, it changed its name one last time and became the École Supérieure d'Art du Havre before merging with the École Régionale des Beaux-Arts de Rouen, in December 2010, to become the École Supérieure d'Art et Design Le Havre-Rouen.