Sat, 07 Oct|
MAKING versus TAKING photographs with Arnold Borgerth
A photograph is never only about what was in front of the camera. To MAKE PHOTOGRAPHS, one must take full control over all necessary technical parameters involved in producing a photograph
Time & Location
07 Oct 2023, 10:00 – 08 Oct 2023, 13:00
Margate, 31-33 High St, Margate CT9 1DX, UK
About the Event
Saturday 7 October, 10am to 5pm
& Sunday 8 October, 10am to 1pm
A photograph is never only about what was in front of the camera.
To MAKE PHOTOGRAPHS, one must take full control over all necessary technical parameters involved in producing a photograph.
Exposure, Focal Length, Focus, etc. are all visually and conceptually defining parameters and should not be left to be decided by camera manufacturers.
The cost for this weekend course is £50, all participants must bring their own digital camera or smart phone which allows images to be produced using full manual control over ISO, Aperture, and Speed
Book your place HERE
A practice based hands-on workshop which will encourage and guide the participants through the process of thinking and using the photographic technical parameters as creative tools. ISO, Exposure, Aperture, Speed, Focal length, Focus & Depth of field are not just technical parameters, they also define and refine what an image says or does not say.
DAY 1, Saturday
10am to 11am
- Quick run through on how to operate your camera exclusively on manual mode (all automatic functions off !!!!)
11am to 12pm
- Using exiting images, we will illustrate the impact the various technical parameters have on the final result.
12pm to 2pm
- Lunch break
2pm to 5pm
- The group goes out to photograph, the tutor is at hand and available for advice if required.
DAY 2, Sunday
10am to 1pm
- Each participant will present to the group a short selection of the images they produced on the first day.
- The tutor and participants will together comment and give feedback on the work presented.
As an artist, Arnold has exhibited widely across South America and the UK. He is a Photography Lecturer at Goldsmiths in London and works as a freelance photographer for the arts and design sector.
Originally from Brazil and currently based in Margate, Arnold has been a practicing photographer since 1980.